This is the portal page for JETs/Wisconsin ALTs leaving the program. You can download the information here in a more colorful and easy-to-digest package in the Goodbye Chiba Guide.

2017 Goodbye to Chiba guide:

JETWI Alumni survey:

2017 Sempai Spotlight:




Budget for moving

Your final paycheck may be less than the amount you normally receive because it is less than a full working month. You may also be asked to leave some money behind to cover cleaning and repair costs.

Schedule & asking for help

Give yourself plenty of time to sort through your belongings and make the necessary arrangements. More time may allow you to choose cheaper options!
Your supervisor, JTEs, PAs, BCs and friends are not obligated to help you move, but they may offer. Make sure you thank them accordingly!

Moving date vs. last day of work

Confirm your final day of work before making moving plans. The date you must move out and the final day you must go in to work may be different—and you may have to take paid leave (年休nenkyū) to cover days of missed work if they don’t line up.
If you plan to use your remaining nenkyu at the end of your contract to leave early, discuss it with your supervisor as soon as possible. Leaving before classes are over may leave a negative impression on your school, and it may make canceling utilities and other paperwork more difficult for your supervisor.

Pay all your bills and cancel services

  • Electricity*
  • Gas*
  • Water*
  • TV (NHK/CATV/Sky PerfecTV, etc)
  • Bank account (cancel in person, receive account balance) and credit card
  • Telephone/mobile phone (cancel at a store anytime)
  • Internet
  • Newspaper/magazine subscriptions
  • Rent
  • Cleaning and repair costs
  • Local inhabitant tax (see Taxes section below)
  • Voluntary car insurance
*Have them turn it off the day you leave

Moving-Out Notification (転出届 tenshutsu-todoke)

From the Moving In, Out, and Around Chiba page
It is important that you submit this before leaving Japan in order to receive your pension refund. Before you leave, bring the following to your local city hall:
  • Resident Card
  • Proof of insurance AND Pension book (国民健康保険証および国民年金手帳)
  • Your personal seal (印鑑 inkan)
Note: if you are moving elsewhere in Japan, you must submit a Moving-In Notification (転入届 ten'nyu-todoke) in your new city. More information on the Moving within Chiba section of the Moving In, Out, and Around Chiba page.
Return to top

Invalidate Residence Card at airport

Give your residence card to the immigration inspector at the airport when you leave Japan for good. They will punch a hole in it and give it back to you.

Contact your landlord

Inform them of your departure date at least a month in advance and arrange an apartment inspection date. Your original deposit may be used for repairs and cleaning.

Forward mail

If you are staying in Japan, complete a Change of Address Notice (転居届 tenkyo todoke) at any post office. If you are leaving Japan, have your mail forwarded to a friend or colleague who can send it to you. Japan Post will not forward to an overseas address unless the item itself is from overseas.
(More detail in Kumamoto Guide p. 19)

Close your bank account

Do this at the branch where you opened your account if possible, as doing it at another branch may incur fees.
  • Bankbook (通帳 tsūchō)
  • Bank card
  • Personal seal (印鑑 inkan)
Also cancel any Japanese credit cards.

Cancel your mobile phone

If you are leaving Japan, you can cancel your mobile phone anytime up until the day you leave by visiting your phone company’s store. You must visit in person (cannot be done over the phone). You may have to pay a fee to end your contract early, and you will be charged for calls and messages sent or received on the day of cancellation.
  • ID (residence card and passport)
  • Inkan
  • Mobile phone
(Selling Landline: Kumamoto Guide p.18)
Return to top

Getting rid of your car/bike

Selling your car

If you are selling your car, you must officially transfer ownership.
You will need:
  • Vehicle inspection certificate (車検証shakenshō)
  • Receipt of automobile tax payment (自動車税納付証明書jidōshazei nōfu shōmeisho); if you don’t have this, apply for a proof of automobile tax payment certificate (自動車税納税証明書 jidōshazei nōzei shōmeisho)
  • Proof of compulsory automobile liability insurance (自動車損害賠償責任保険jidōsha songai baishō sekinin hoken or自賠責jibaiseki)
  • Certificate of transfer (譲渡証明書jōto shōmeisho)
  • Your inkan and registration of it (印鑑証明書inkan shōmeisho), which is less than 3 months old, from your local city office/town hall

The buyer needs:
  • Inkan and registration certificate
  • Proof of parking space (車庫証明書shako shōmeisho)
(Source: After JET Guide p. 8, Kumamoto Guide p. 13-14)

Disposing of your car (廃車 haisha)

If you dispose of the vehicle through a disposal company you will need the following:
  • Inkan and registration certificate
  • Vehicle inspection certificate
  • Number plates (front and back)
  • A letter of attorney (委任状i’ninjō) stamped with your personal seal
  • A memo with:
    • the transfer report number (移動報告番号 idō hōkoku bangō) written on the recycle ticket (使用済自動車引取証明書 shiyōzumi jidōsha hikitori shōmeisho)
    • the date your car was disposed of (解体報告記録がなされた日 kaitai hōkoku kiroku ga nasareta hi) which you receive from the disposal company after your car is dismantled
(Source:; confirm with your disposal company)

Cancel voluntary car insurance (自動車任意保険 jidōsha nin’i hoken)

If you pay by the year you may be able to get a percentage back (ask your insurance company). If you pay by the month you don’t have to pay for the months after your car is sold.
Return to top

Selling your bike

You must officially transfer ownership just like with cars. You’ll need to complete theft prevention registration at a bike shop or anywhere that has a Bicycle Registration sign up (自転車防犯登録所 jitensha bōhan tōrokusho). The buyer cannot use the seller’s registration number.
  • the bicycle
  • a form of ID/your residence card
  • previous owner’s registration card (登録カード tōroku ka-do) or ownership transfer form (譲渡証明書 jōto shōmeisho) (sample:
  • inkan to fill out the ownership transfer form
  • pay registration fee of 500 yen
Return to top

Shipping things home

You can ship things home via the post office or private shipping service. You can also have your luggage sent to the airport for you.
(Very detailed explanation in Kumamoto Guide p. 8-12)
Post Office
This is the best option for if you don’t have that much to send. The Post Office also offers heavily discounted rates for those sending books and other printed materials. You have a few options for general mail that vary in speed and cost, but you can send printed materials separately at a reduced rate.
Private Shipping Services
Best for if you need to send dense, oddly-shaped, or fragile items.
Ship Luggage to the Airport
If you anticipate having a hard time getting all of your luggage to the airport, domestic shipping services (宅急便 takkyūbin) are an affordable, convenient way of sending your bags ahead of you to the airport or the hotel you are staying at before you depart. This service can be accessed at most convenience stores and other spots where you see the “Black Cat” (クロネコヤマト Kuroneko Yamato) or “Pelican” (ペリカン便 Perikan Bin) emblems.
Read more on the Sending money and things home page.
Return to top

Immigration & Visa Status

Depending on your plans, you may need to change your Status of Residence (what work you’re allowed to do) and/or your Period of Stay (how long you can legally be in the country). You will need to make at least two trips to the immigration office in Chiba City.
Note: the final decision comes down to the official who makes the decision at the immigration office with jurisdiction in the area, so please confirm with the immigration office before you take any steps!
Read more on the Immigration & Visa Procedures page.
Return to top


The Japanese National Health Insurance ends the day of your contract. Return your insurance card to your contracting organization on completion of your contract—they need it for paperwork.

JETs: JET Accident Insurance covers accidents and injury (not theft or loss of property) until the day you arrive in your home country or August 31, whichever comes first. For more information, check the JET Accident Insurance Policy Guide.

WI-ALTs: Wisconsin ALTs can submit a claim for emergency medical care received abroad, but this can only be done while you are covered by the National Health Insurance. (Japanese; English)
If you plan to travel after completing your contract, it is recommended that you enroll in travel insurance.
Read more about insurance in general on the Insurance page.
Return to top


CIRs, 3rd year ALTs and above, and 1st and 2nd year ALTs from the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, and other countries are liable for Japanese taxes. Income tax (所得税 shotokuzei) is deducted from your monthly salary and listed on your Statement of Earnings (源泉徴収票 gensenchōshūhyō); you will need this statement to apply for an extension of your Status of Residence as well as filing taxes in your home country.
Inhabitant tax (also called residence tax 住民税 jūminzei) is calculated on January 1st based on your income from the previous calendar year (Jan 1—Dec 31) in Japan. You receive this bill in June.

If you are liable for taxes, you need to discuss with your CO how taxes will be paid after you have left. For JETs, the method also differs based on whether you arrived before or after July 2012 (JETs who arrived after 2012 receive their paycheck before taxes are paid). Usually taxes are paid in one of the following ways:
  1. CO pays a lump sum payment on your behalf once you receive the bill in June before you depart (JETs that arrived after 2012 will need to leave sufficient funds with their CO).
  2. CO pays monthly or quarterly payments on your behalf once you have left Japan (JETs that arrived after 2012 will need to leave sufficient funds with their CO).
  3. CO includes extra money in your gross monthly salary in order to cover the amount you owe in inhabitant taxes. In this case, you will be responsible for using these excess funds to pay your tax bill in June (JETs that arrived after 2012 will pay this lump sum out of pocket).
(Source: GIH p. 59, PDF p. 29, Kumamoto Guide p. 22)
Read more about how Japanese taxes are calculated and paid on the Taxes page.
Return to top

Pension Refund

Before leaving Japan:
  1. Submit your moving-out notification
  2. Obtain application for the Lump-sum Withdrawal Payments (脱退一時金請求書dattai ichijikin seikyūsho) from your local social insurance office
  3. Designate a person who is a resident of Japan to be your tax representative
  4. Be sure to pack:
  • Your blue Pension Book (年金手帳 nenkin techō)
  • Contact information for your school/office, tax representative, and CO
After leaving Japan:
  1. Submit your application to the Japan Pension Service containing: Pension book, photocopy of passport, your bank information
  2. Wait until you receive a Notice of Lump Sum Withdrawal Payment
  3. Receive your money!
  4. To get back the 20% that was withheld as tax, mail the original Notice of Lump Sum Withdrawal Payments to your tax representative and have him or her fill out a tax return
  5. Have the remaining 20% deposited into your tax representative’s account (must be a Japanese bank account) and then have him/her deposit the money in your account
  6. Receive more money!
Read more on the Pension Lump-sum Refund page.
Return to top

Essential Information for Your Successor
Leaving your successor with a solid base of information about their placement will only help them adjust to their new life and work quickly and more smoothly. It will also help your JTEs, BOE, neighboring ALTs, and other colleagues begin a productive working relationship with your successor right away. Remember when you first arrived in Japan and what you were told (or weren’t told) by your predecessor. Here is your chance to leave a positive legacy and pay forward the help that was given to you!

However, it is important to strike a balance in the amount and kind of information you provide. While too little information can leave your successor feeling unprepared, too much can be overwhelming and rob them of the opportunity to explore and learn for themselves. Too much positive or negative information can also affect your successor’s expectations, and they will compare many of their experiences to these expectations. To give you an idea of what kind of information is important to include, the Essential Information Outgoing→Incoming form has been adapted for both JETs (ALT & CIR) and WI-ALTs.



Return to top

Letter of Recommendation
Your CO can provide a Certificate of Participation for proof of employment (在職証明書zaishoku shōmeisho) and/or a letter of recommendation (推薦状 suisenjō) if you request it. Samples of both can be found in the CO Manual (forms 3-4-2 and 3-4-3).

Return to top

Return Airfare

To qualify for your travel allowance home, you must fulfill the following conditions:
  • Complete term of appointment
  • Do not enter into a subsequent term of appointment with your contracting organization or a contract with a third party in Japan within one month after completion of the term of appointment
  • Leave Japan to return to your home country no later than one month from the day following the end of the term of appointment

In addition, your ticket has the following conditions:
  • In principle the ticket should be for a direct flight. If a direct flight is not available a ticket requiring the smallest number of transfers should be provided. In such circumstances, the traveling time should not be unreasonably longer than a direct flight.
  • In the event that the JET cannot return on the specified date due to unavoidable and unforeseen circumstances, such as accident or illness, the contracting organization is to provide a ticket for another flight.
(Source: GIH 2015 p. 157, PDF p.78, Kumamoto Guide p. 23, After JET p. 16)

WI-ALTs should submit the Return Flight Request form to the WI PC and to their school office; after discussing with their school, they can make flight plans with the BOE travel agent who visits their school. WI-ALTs pay for the ticket up front and submit the receipt to their school office to be reimbursed.

JETs should fill out the Return Flight Request form (form 3-4-1 in the CO Manual) or a similar form and give it to their CO (WI-ALTs may also fill out a similar form). Your CO may choose to purchase your ticket or reimburse you. Consult with your supervisor as early as possible as to the procedure. COs may try to avoid flights during Obon (mid-August) as tickets are very expensive.

Return to top

Reverse Culture Shock

Just as you may have experienced culture shock or culture fatigue during your time in Japan, you may experience it when you return home. Re-entry shock or reverse culture shock is common among returning expatriates, but it is often unanticipated, so there is less awareness and support for it than regular culture shock. The level of severity varies by individual, but in general, the more you have changed—often connected to how long you were away and how deeply you immersed yourself—the more difficult it will be to readjust to your home culture.
Read more about reverse culture shock and repatriation on the Cultural Adjustment page.
Return to top

Future Employment and After JET Conference

The After JET Conference is held by CLAIR for JETs who will not recontract for the following year.
See documents from past conferences and other professional development resources on the Professional Development Resources page.

Sources & Further Reading

General Information Handbook 2015:
After JET Guide 2011:

JET Lump sum Withdrawal Payment Guide:
Kumamoto Leaver’s Guide:
Hamamatsu Leaver’s Guide:
After JET Conference Materials:
JET Alumni Associations:
2016 Goodbye to Chiba Guide:
JETWI Alumni Survey:2015 Sempai Spotlight:WI-ALT Outgoing Information:JET Outgoing Information:

Return to top