Getting Your Motorcycle License in Japan

What you need:

  • Valid US Driver's License or any valid driver's license (or valid Japanese Driver's License)
  • International Driving Permit (if you don't have your Japanese Driver's License yet)
  • Time and Money
  • The will and commitment to jump through hoops

The process is more or less the same for those with something other than a US Driver's License.

*Note: US motorcycle endorsements are unrestricted in size and power, endorsement holders can ride any bike but
when switching to a Japanese license, they are given a mid-size bike license and must test up for an unlimited class license.
Countries where the motorcycle license is restricted by size and power may find the process a bit different when converting
to a Japanese one.

Check out the PDF below for a much more detailed account on getting your license